After WWII and the demarcation of new borders, the Lusatian Neisse became a border river between Poland and Germany. The Gendenkhalle building in Zgorzelec/Görlitz, the seat of the Kaiser Friedrich Museum, found itself standing on the Polish side with its collection distributed among those museums in Poland that had escaped destruction. The numismatic collection from the former Friedrich Kaiser Museum was sent to the National Museum in Warsaw. Among them there was the Meissen bracteate hoard (1200 – c.1230) discovered during construction work in Kamjenc, Kamenz in Upper Lusatia in 1910. The subject of the article is a new analysis of the hoard stored in the National Museum in Warsaw, based on the description made by Heineken in 1913.
Inscribed with an engraved name of Dorothy, princess of Courland and duchess of Żagań (1793–1862), a tankard from 1845 is stored at the National Museum in Warsaw. A total of 46 coins and medals selected specifically to present the history of House of Birons, that Dorothy descended from, adorn its sides. Only scanty reports remained about the family’s numismatic collection, gathered in the 18th and 19th century and partially included in such adorned vessels.